Leaning on the Lord...

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, do not depend on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5&6

Let us then approach the throne of grace with assurance, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in time of need. Hebrews 4:16

Monday, April 6, 2009

Logan's birth

Logan came a little sooner than we planned. I woke up Wednesday morning on April 1st in labor. I figured it was just another round of false labor, so I planned to get the kids to school and then deal with it. As I was pulling out of the driveway, I realized that the 3 minute pattern wasn't changing (contraction for about 30 seconds every 3 minutes). In between contractions, I got B dropped off at school and quickly realized that things weren't slowing down. The doctor's office couldn't fit me in until the afternoon so I let them know I was heading over to the hospital. No, I didn't drive myself - although I toyed with the idea. I was able to get E to school early and headed home to wait for my Dad to come to my rescue. I can't remember the trip to the hospital ever being so long.

I typically have really long labors (as in days) so I wasn't too concerned until the nurse announced I was at a "9." My dad calmly informed Tony he'd better head our way and, minutes later, I was being whisked away to the operating room. We waited as long as possible and then they informed me that they had to get started. Tony arrived about 10 minutes after Logan's birth so we were able to spend the 90 minutes of his short life just loving on him. He was the sweetest, softest child I have ever held in my arms. Don't get me wrong, holding my other kids was wonderful, but this was like holding something Heavenly. He cooed, grabbed my finger, and looked around a little. We kissed him, stroked his face and told him how brave he was. This kid was a fighter. At this point, he'd been dealing with low amniotic fluid since December and at some point the encephlocele had deflated, which means he didn't have long. As the doctors were finishing me up, Logan took a few gasps and was gone.

We headed to our room, knowing Logan was in the arms of Jesus and at peace. Shortly thereafter, our parents, the kids, and some great friends arrived to support us and meet Logan. We had a wonderful photographer from Now I Lay me Down to Sleep come and take pictures of Logan and friends and family. Two of the best friends a girl could have, Sherry and Christy, patiently put handprints and footprints on a Christmas ornament, in clay, and took moldings of the same. Logan had 6 fingers on each hand and 6 toes on each foot along with club feet, but they were so cute.

It was one of the most blessed and awful days of my life. The last 9 months have been hard, knowing at first that we might lose him, and later, knowing it was very likely. However, those 90 minutes with him were absolutely worth it. I can't even explain how precious it was.

As you might imagine, we're all a bit of a mess around here. It will get better with time and God's grace, but for now, it's pretty messy. I honestly thought this would be easier because we've been kind of grieving all along, but that has not been the case. I know if we can just get through the next couple of weeks, things will get a little easier. We're having the burial service at 1:00 on Wednesday with the Memorial Service planned for Friday. I expect that this week will be especially difficult, but we have great friends and family lifting us up continually. Please continue to keep us in your prayers. I can't tell you how much your encouragement means.

8 comments:

Happy McNally Mom said...

God Bless you and your family. I will be praying for the healing both physically and mentally for you and your family.

Alyn said...

I am so happy you got to spend 90 minutes with him. I am going to try and make it on Friday, may have to bring baby though. My prayers are with you and your family.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for the loss of your precious Logan. How wonderful that you had a few precious moments with him here on earth. May God continue to comfort you and your family, and give you healing and strength!

Anonymous said...

Oh Lisa, I am so glad that you got to have a live birth. I am so happy you and Tony were able to hold your precious baby boy! Praise God that Tony made it to the hospital on time!! I am so thankful for you and your family and the example you have been in my life and so many others. I know it has been hard on you and your whole family, but thank you for sharing your story, for your faithfulness in God.
With much love,

red-headed Wilson's said...

I am sorry Lisa. It is hard to know what to say or what to do for your family. I think every mother has pains for you and we all just want to help you. I am so glad to hear you had a beautiful time with Logan and will continue to pray for your health and healing for your family.

Rooted Renaissance Girl said...

His little hands and feet were so cute, I agree. I was also struck by the beauty of his arms and shoulders. Your tribute here is well written. And, yes, you've been preparing to grieve all along but now you're feeling the full impact of that. Hard times, that's for sure, but as you said that precious time was invaluable. God bless you guys!!

Anonymous said...

Oh Lisa,
Praise God for the miracle of you being able to hold Logan and cherish him for those 90 minutes. Praise God that Tony made it to the hospital and was able to see him and hold your precious baby boy. I am so glad that you had that moment with him. I am very sorry that it was only a short amount of time. I am praying for you and your family and that you will be able to see Gods hands all over. I pray that his little life and your story will continue to be a blessing to others to help them reach out to God, by your example.

Pete, Ali, Charlie and Rosie said...

Congratulations on the arrival of your lovely boy, and I am so thrilled for you that you had 90 precious minutes with him. My first son, Will, was born with Meckel Gruber Syndrome, and we had fifteen amazing minutes with him. Feel free to have a look at Will's blog if you'd like - it's at http://our-son-will.blogspot.com
If you'd like a chat with someone who has been exactly where you are, please drop me a line at turners@mallardsreach(dot)freeserve(dot)co(dot)uk (you'll need to change the (dot)s to .s!)I will be thinking of you all in the days and weeks ahead, and will check back in on your blog to see some pictures of your beautiful son! With love to you all, Alison x